Were you inspired by Kelly Houle’s Illuminated Origins project?
Below is an opportunity for botanical artists to learn about the painting and gold leaf techniques used by manuscript artists. Read about the medieval illumination class, and other exciting classes, to be offered this Spring at Corcoran College of Art & Design in Washington, DC.
Corcoran College of Art & Design
The only college of art and design in Washington, DC also offers a certificate program in botanical art and illustration. Classes include introductory courses in botanical drawing, botanical painting and specialty classes such as Plant Portraits in Oil and Medieval Illumination.
- Drawing Orchids – March 17-18, 2012; 9:00 AM – 4:30 PM. Orchids will be the focus as students learn drawing and compositional skills. Light, shade, shadow, plant morphology and botanical forms will also be discussed. Students will be introduced to wet and dry media. Beginner/Immediate. Cost: $490 (0.5 Credits). View details
- Medieval Illumination and Egg Tempera on Vellum
February 11-19, 2012; 9:00 AM – 4:30 PM. Egg tempera, 24k gold leaf technique and natural pigments will be discussed. Students will learn how to grind natural pigments and learn the techniques used by manuscript artists during the 4th – 14th centuries. Some materials provided by instructor. Cost: $970 (1 Credit), plus $100 lab fee. View details
- Photographing Orchids – March 3-4, 2012; 9:00 AM – 4:30 PM. Learn classic and creative photography techniques that will have you shooting compelling orchid images in no time. This workshop is designed for photo enthusiasts who want to photograph orchids at the National Orchid Show. Cost: $490 (0.5 Credits). View details
- Introduction to Botanical Painting in Watercolor
January 18 – May 9, 2012; 9:30 AM – 12:30 PM. For beginners wanting to learn about the painting techniques used by contemporary botanical artists. Students will learn how to apply paint to create form and detail. Some drawing experience helpful. Cost: $1440 (1.5 Credits), plus $60 lab fee. Audit Fee: $720, plus $60 lab fee. View details
- Intermediate Botanical Painting in Watercolor
January 18 – May 9, 2012; 9:30 AM – 12:30 PM. This course is a continuation of the introductory course above. Students will continue their study of painting techniques and plants. Cost: $1440 (1.5 Credits), plus $60 lab fee. Audit Fee: $720,plus $60 lab fee. View details
This information has been posted to Classes Near You > Washington, DC.