Few people visit Newfoundland without being touched by the warmth of its people, the depth of its history and the haunting beauty of its rugged coastline. This seven day workshop, under the expert guidance of renowned teacher and botanical artist, Margaret Best, of Calgary, promises an ideal opportunity to work uninterrupted in an inspiring coastal setting. Our large airy studio has breathtaking views. Our hotel is the top ranked rural inn in Newfoundland. The award-winning kitchen draws from the nearby ocean, freshwater ponds, seaside meadows and an abundant kitchen garden in season. In early October, the meadows and woodlands will be turning to their soft autumn colours – expanses of blueberry bushes turning rich claret, wild rhododendron, sheep’s laurel, lichens in a subtle spectrum, partridge berries, cloud berries, tall sedges bleaching to every shade of blonde. This is a landscape of miniature set against vast vistas of sea and sky. Accessible trails make this a hikers’ paradise.
Six Night Itinerary Overview
You will be met at the Sheraton Hotel in downtown St. John’s for the 2 ½ hour drive to Fisher’s Loft Inn in Port Rexton, on Trinity Bay.
Welcome dinner tonight in the hotel dining room.
This morning, explore the organic kitchen garden and green-house of our hotel, the nearby meadows and headland. Spend the rest of the day painting in our ridge-top studio. Evening at leisure.
Morning in the studio. After lunch we go on a historic boat tour, visiting the abandoned outports of Ireland’s Eye and British Harbour as well as the set built for the filming of Random Passage. Return to the hotel, evening at leisure.
Full day in the studio with optional 1 ½ hour hike on the dramatic Skerwink Trail. Box lunches provided today.
This morning in the studio. Midday excursion to the picturesque town of Trinity for walking tour and lunch. Afternoon studio time. Dinner at leisure.
Final day in the studio. Farewell dinner.
Morning transfer to St. John’s
- Personalized instruction by Margaret Best, tailored to your individual medium and needs.
- Both coloured pencil – exciting new techniques with the latest materials – as well as watercolour earth tones best suited to fall colours – fallen leaves, seed pods, berries, rose hips and late harvest vegetables.
- Workshop participation limited to insure best possible learning experience.
- Exclusive use of beautiful studio space and opportunity to work in the garden or farther afield.
- 6 nights in a dramatically beautiful setting, with charming top-ranked accommodations at Fisher’s Loft Inn, a collection of traditional buildings set on a hillside overlooking the ocean. Friendly gracious local staff will make you feel so at home you won’t want to leave.
- Chartered boat tour. Learn about the fascinating history of the Newfoundland fishery and outports.
- Walking tour of historic Trinity
- Guided hike around Skerwink Trail
- 6 delicious full menu breakfasts, 2 three course dinners at Fisher’s Loft restaurant, two lunches
- Transfer from a central location in St. John’s to your hotel in Port Rexton
- Transfer to St. John’s and the airport
- 6 nights accommodation at Fisher’s Loft Inn
- 6 full breakfasts
- 3 course Welcome dinner, with wine
- 3 course Farewell dinner with wine
- 2 lunches
- Boat tour to visit outports
- Walking tour of historic Trinity
- Guided hike of Skerwink Trail
- Gratuities for wait staff for meals on the programme, drivers and Trinity guide.
- Flights in and out of St. John’s
- Meals not mentioned in the programme
- Tips for housekeeping staff
- Drinks, except where specified
NOTE: To participate in this workshop, you must be prepared to walk up and down the hill between the studio and the various other buildings on the site.
Cost: $2,995 CAD