Botanical illustration, birds, snakes and dragonflies!
See what’s new at Classes Near You > Washington.
North Cascades Basecamp, Mazama
A bed-and-breakfast style lodge surrounded by acres of protected cedar forest, the North Cascades Basecamp serves as a homebase for outdoor adventures such as hiking, fishing, cross-country skiing and a host of other activities offered through the camp’s Ecology Center. Biologists Kim and Steve Bondi purchased the recreation center in 2010 and created the Ecology Center to offer learning opportunities for guests. The Spring 2012 schedule includes:
- Wildlife Tracking Weekend Workshop – May 4-6, 2012. Instructor David Moskowitz of CyberTracker Conservation. Cost: $330 (includes lodging, 6 meals, course logistics, field trips and certificate), $335 private room, $240 no lodging. Details/Register
- 2012 Citizen Science Snake Count – May 12-20, 2012; exact date to be announced. A Citizen Science Program to map and track snake distributions across North America. FREE.
- Spring Bird Festival: A Watercolor Workshop Painting the Birds and Colors of Spring. One-day workshop, 10 AM – 4 PM. Two workshops are available, one on June 2, 2012 and the other on June 3, 2012. Learn how to paint birds in the field with artist, John Adams. Cost: $75/workshop. Details/Register
- Nature in Art and Science: A Field Journaling-Naturalist Workshop
May 25-27, 2012. Artist/writer Hannah Hinchman and natural science educator Bruce Thompson, will help you open the windows to nature’s many secrets and show you how to personalize your experiences through journal entries, both drawn, painted and written. Cost: $330/person, (includes 2 nights, 6 meals, instruction, and field trips), $355 singles room; $230 no lodging. Class begins at 3 PM on May 25, ends on Sunday at 11 AM. Details/Register
- Botanical Illustration Weekend Workshop
June 15-17, 2012. Review plant anatomy, ecological adaptations and develop drawing skills while exploring the flora on the east side of the Cascades with Quinn Fitzpatrick. Cost: $280 for shared room includes 2 nights, 5 meals, instruction and field trips; $295 private room; $175 no lodging. Details/Register
- Dragonflies: North Cascades Institute Weekend Workshop
August 3-5, 2012. Explore ponds, meadows and wetland areas to learn about dragonflies from the Northwest’s authority on odonates, Dennis Paulson. Cost: $350 singles (includes 2 nights lodging, 6 meals, field instruction & evening presentation). Commuter rate $275, Friday evening presentation $5. Details/Register
Visit the Ecology Center at North Cascades Basecamp to see their complete schedule for spring.