The Denver Botanic Garden’s Botanical Art & Illustration Program is leading an Arts & Archives Tour to London and Madrid, March 31 – April 11, 2011. There is room for two more adventurous travelers. Two critical travelers, in fact. If you are interested in this tour, please email the Program Coordinator or call 720-865-3653 as soon as possible.
Here is a quick look at the itinerary. A more detailed itinerary can be viewed here.
LONDON: Accommodation at Royal Gardens Hotel
- Arrive in London
- Hampton Court Palace: Botanical Archives including the Florilegium
- Royal School of Needlework and the floral treasures (2-hour tour)
- Visit Ann Swan and her studio in Wiltshire
- Visit Avebury Henge, Avebury
- Kew Gardens
- Viewing of Beatrix Potter Collection at the Blythe House
- Westminster Abbey organ concert 17:45 p.m (free 30 min. organ recital).
- Natural History Museum and its library collections
- Victoria and Albert Museum
- Viewing of SBA (Society of Botanical Artists) 2011 Exhibit at Westminster Central Hall (press preview)
- Flight to Madrid
MADRID: Accommodation at Hotel Agumar
- Royal Botanic Gardens and their archives and collections
- Parque del Retiro
- National Archaeological Museum
- Visit and tour of the Royal Tapestry Factory
- Prado Museum
- Mercado de San Miguel
- Museo de America
- Centro de Arte Reina Sofia
- El Rastro, Europe’s biggest flea market next to Europe’s biggest stamp and coin market, both open on Sundays only.
- Palacio Real
- Plaza Mayor
- Flamenco (e.g., Las Tablas) or Bullfight
- Last minute shopping or sight-seeing on your own
- Those extending their trip start their explorations (e.g., Toledo, Spain’s former capital and the home town for El Greco and with a magnificent cathedral)
- Flight home
Tour is limited to 13 participants.
Price without the airfare is $2,775US (includes hotel accommodation with breakfast daily, London Travel pass, Madrid Travel pass, private day excursion to Wiltshire, group travel insurance, and entry tickets where applicable). For more information, please call 720-865-3653 or email Program Coordinator.