Mary Ann Scott’s Botanical Sketchbook is an open journal in which she describes her experiences as a student in the Distance Learning Diploma Course administered by the Society of Botanical Artists in the UK. Scott presents actual assignments, as well as the marks she earned for each assignment. Readers are given a front row seat to Scott’s insecurities, decisions, mistakes and successes. This book’s format is unique and provides a level of insight into the SBA diploma program that is not available anywhere else.
Botanical Sketchbook is a rich resource of information for artists at all levels. Mary Ann’s experiences will teach artists a lot about:
- Line drawings and pencil studies
- Drawing and painting leaves, color mixing
- Drawing and painting flowers, composition
- Single flower studies
- Fruit studies
- Vegetable studies
- Creating a classic botanical illustration
- Turning field notes into a formal sketchbook pages
- Working with photographs to create commercial work
- Composing a painting of mixed flowers
- Creating a diploma-worthy portfolio addressing all techniques
Botanical Sketchbook is available at your independent bookstore.
(Paperback, 2015; $17.95)
Drawing as a Learning Tool in Biology
ArtPlantae is an affiliate of IndieBound and a supporter of independent bookstores.