New to Classes Near You > Virginia:
Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden
In 1884, Lewis Ginter purchased some property and built a gathering place for Richmond bicyclists. One hundred years later, the Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden is established on this same piece of property and soon became one of the top five destinations in Virginia. It is also home to Artbase a searchable database containing 2,500 botanical watercolor paintings by Alexandre Descubes. The Adult Education program at the garden includes workshops in botanical drawing and painting. Complete course descriptions and registration information are available here. Courses include:
- Color Theory for Botanical Artists – Wednesdays, March 3, 10, 17, 24; 10:00 AM – 2:30 PM. Color harmony, watercolor techniques, and special effects will be discussed. $215 non-members / $175 members
- Basic Botanical Illustration with Cindle Kollman – March 8-12, 2010; 10:00 AM – 2:30 PM. Beginning illustration class includes a historical look at botanical art and the use of techniques required to draw nature accurately. Most materials are provided. $220 non-members / $175 members
- How to Draw (More) Stuff in the Garden – Thursday evenings April 8, 15, 22 (6 – 8 PM) and Saturday mornings April 10, 17, 24 (9:30 AM – 12:30 PM). A continuation of “How to Draw Stuff”. Also for artists with previous drawing experience. Saturday classes will be held in the garden. $165 non-members / $135 members
- Botanical Illustration Workshop with Juliet Kirby: Spring Blooming Bulbs – Tuesdays & Thursdays, April 20, 22, 27, 29; 10:00 AM – 3:30 PM. Prerequisite: Completion of one botanical illustration course. Participants will draw and paint bulbs from the garden. $210 non-members / $170 members
- Anatomy of Flowers for Botanical Artists – Wednesdays, April 21, 28; 10:00 – 2:30 PM. Disect and draw flowers to understand their structure. $115 non-members / $96 members.